Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summary of Assistive Tech: Communication and Leisure

I have learned a lot of new information over the past two weeks. There were so many things that I was not aware of regarding communication devices. I did not realize how complex it is to set up a communication board using the Proloquo 2 Go program. You really have to examine what you have programmed with a group of specialists to make sure the student will have everything they need to succeed and communicate in all their living environments. It was a large learning curve to fully understand how to program communication boards and I think I still have lots to learn. I really enjoyed making the low tech assistive tech and sharing it with the class. There were lots of great ideas created and purchased by the class. I did not realize that these smaller items could be considered low tech. The greatest thing is that because these items are found at most Dollaramas they are assessible to everyone. The smallest item(s) could greatly impact a students ability to complete daily life tasks or participate in academic curriculum. Overall I believe I came away with lots of knowledge about assistive tech and a desire to learn more about it.

JF

No comments:

Post a Comment